Coming up soon will be our annual Pinewood Derby. This usually is one of the highlights of the year for Cub Scouts all around the country. It is a chance for the Cub Scout or Brownie if they wish to enter a car, to build a race car with the help of a parent (not the other way around) and compete against other Pack and Troop members.
There will be prizes for the fastest race cars using the format as outlined later in this note. As well there will be prizes for the Most Original and Creative Design, and Best Paint Job.
We will need help from about six or seven parents on the evening of the races to help set up and run the race event and a few more to judge the cars.
Derby Rules and Race Format:
Maximum Width: 2 3/4 inches
Maximum Length: 7 inches
Maximum Weight: 5.0 ounces
· In order for the car not to rub on the track there must be 1 3/4" between the wheels and 3/8" clearance underneath the body.
· The Official BSA pinewood block, wheels and axles must be used.
· The car must not ride on any type of springs, must not have any starting devices and must be freewheeling.
· Wheel bearings, washers, bushings and wet lubricant are prohibited.
· There will be a weigh in ( 5 oz limit) and inspection of each car prior to racing and once finally inspected, no additional modifications or adjustments will be allowed.
· Once all cars are inspected and registered, we will divide them into three groups with as close to the same number in each group as possible.
· Each group will then run preliminary heats to determine the top 3 in each group who will proceed to the semi-finals.
· The top 3 from the 9 semi-finalists will proceed to the finals where first, second and third overall will be decided.
· In the preliminary heats and semi-finals, the races will be run three cars at a time. In order to make up for variances in the tracks, each car will run once on each of the three tracks against two different competitors each time.
· In the finals, the three cars will run three heats, once on each track against the other two finalists.
· Points will be awarded for first, second and third in each heat and the winners in each group and in the semi-finals determined by totaling the points for the three races each car runs.
· It is the same system that we used last year and it really isn't as complicated as it sounds.
· If there are any questions or concerns or suggestions don't be shy, let me know.
· Girls can enter a car and race against other girls. After the main pack race if time permits girls and boys can race their cars.
· This should be another fun meeting for all.
· Take care,